Chapter 10 Reading Notes

April 27, 2010 at 6:30 pm (Comm 2322, Reading Notes) (, , )

  • In her book “Crisis Communications: A Casebook Approach” Kathleen Fearn-Banks states, “A Crisis is a major occurrence with a potentially negative outcome afecting the organization, company, or industry, as well as its publics, products, services, or good name.”

Page 262 Public Relations Strategies and Tactics by Wilcox and Cameron

  • In a study by the Institute for Crisis Management it found that only 14 percent of business crises were unexpected. The other 86 percent of crises were called “smoldering” crises. In these crises the organizations were aware of a potential business disruption long before the public found out. The study also found that business mismanagement caused 78 percent of the crises.

Page 262 Public Relations Strategies and Tactics by Wilcox and Cameron

  • Weber Shandwick public relations with KRC REsearh foud the the top three reasons for company crisis were as follows:
  1. Financial irregularities
  2. Unethical behavior
  3. Executive misconduct

Page 262 Public Relations Strategies and Tactics by Wilcox and Cameron

  • In the mist of a crisis public relation practitioners should follow the following checklist:
  1. Put the public first.
  2. Take responsibility.  An organization should take responsibility for solving the problem.
  3. Be honest. Do not obscure facts and try to mislead the public.
  4. Never say, “No comment.”
  5. Designate a single spokesperson
  6. Set up a central information center.
  7. Provide a constant flow of information. When information is withheld, the cover-up become the story.
  8. Be familiar with media needs and deadlines.
  9. Be accessible.
  10. Monitor news coverage and telephone inquiries.
  11. Communicate with key publics.

Page 263 Public Relations Strategies and Tactics by Wilcox and Cameron

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: